Registering Your Child in a Local Vancouver Program
How to Register Your Child in a Local Vancouver Classes?
As you know, I am a big believer in learning through experiences and immersing oneself in a language and local culture. This is particularly beneficial for children, who absorb information like sponges! So believe me when I say that if you are visiting Canada, you DO NOT need to put your child in an ESL / EAL class. If you are visiting Canada, the goal should be to improve oral fluency. ESL classes will be tempting and many people may try to pressure you into this. But believe me! Surrounding your child by native speakers is truly the best way to improve their oral comprehension, oral fluency and their accent.
Basically, there are two options for you to register your child in local Vancouver classes: Community Centres and Private Companies.
Each major Vancouver neighbourhood has at least one community centre. These centres are run by the municipal government – the City Of Vancouver. Community Centres offer a wide array of classes throughout the year, for people of all ages. This is your best bet if you are looking for affordable classes in a particular neighbourhood.
How do I Begin?
- You must create a profile with the City Of Vancouver Recreation Site here. You must have an email address and be over the age of 13 years old to register. As the parent, the account MUST BE UNDER YOUR NAME. You may add people under your account, such as your husband, wife and children. Your entire family will be under this one account.
How to I Find a Class?
- Go to the registration home page here
- Search for a course that interests you in the search bar on the top left. For example, you can simply write “dance” or “swimming.”
- Use the filters located on the left of the page, to help you be specific. You can choose certain dates and locations (neighbourhoods) for your classes.
- For example, you can select “Day Camp” from the Activity Category and “3-Child” from Age Category to see all of the options for children’s day camps .
- Note: the more filters you leave blank, the more options you will have. You do not need to only attend courses in your neighbourhood. Vancouver is easy enough to get around by public transport. Going to a different neighbourhood for a class is an excellent way to explore more of the city!
- When you see an activity you are interested in, click on it to see more information.
- Once you have made a decision, click on the activity and click “Add to Cart.”
- Log in (if you are not already logged in) and select the name of your family member who will be taking this activity.
- Next review and click “proceed to shopping cart.”
- Review again and confirm your purchase. You can make changes here if you have made any mistakes.
- Click “Proceed to checkout” and pay by Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Visa-Debit and Pre paid credit cards.
- Once your payment is complete, you will receive a receipt onscreen. Make sure to print it or save it onto your computer.
Congratulations! You have signed up for a class!
Private Companies in Vancouver
There are many different companies that offer different classes. I have compiled a list for you, with direct links to their websites. If there is no online registration, then emailing them may be the best way. There is no problem in emailing a company to ask for more information.
PERFORMING AND VISUAL ARTS
Arts Umbrella – Art, Theatre, Music, Dance
Circus West – Circus School
Goh Ballet – Ballet
Boogaloo – Dance, Music & Drama
Harbour Dance – Dance ( older kids)
Dance Co – Dance
Vancouver Tap Dance – Dance
JeanLyonsMusic – Music
YMCA – Many activies, not just art.
YWCA – Many activies, not just art.
Long & Mcquade – Music lessons ( Voice and Instrument.)
Young Rembrandts – Visual Arts
Luminous Elephant – Visual Arts
4Cats Art Studio – Visual Arts
The Edge Climbing Centre – Climbing (Only for if you are living in North Vancouver)
The Hive Bouldering Gym – Climbing
Vancouver Youth Soccer Association – Soccer. Check this out to look for summer camps
Volleyball BC – Check out the “Clinics and Camps.”
BC Summer Camps – This website has great information on MANY summer camps.
So where to go from here?
At this point you have a lot of information. Please note that the list of companies above does not include EVERY Vancouver company and class out there. As I continue to explore and get feedback, I will add to this list. Finding the right class can be exhausting, especially when you don’t know the city and English is your second language.
HERE ARE SOME TIPS
- Think about classes that are in a group setting rather than one on one. This will allow for more opportunities for your child to speak and engage with his peers
- Aim to find a class that is in your neighbourhood OR that is easily accessible with public transport.
- Consider a summer camp! Many summer camps are only one week long, so it might be easy to find one during your visit. They are also a lot of fun and full of kids!
- Do not over think to much. If you found a class that looks good, then go ahead a book it!
I look forward to hearing about your experiences here in Vancouver! Please leave a comment if you have any suggestions or send me an email at email@example.com
Circus West – 馬戲學校
Goh Ballet – 芭蕾舞團 – 芭蕾
Boogaloo – 舞蹈，音樂和戲劇
Harbour Dance – 舞蹈（大齡兒童）
Dance Co – 舞蹈
Vancouver Tap Dance – 舞蹈
JeanLyonsMusic – 音樂
YMCA – 許多活動，不只是藝術。
YWCA – 許多活動，不只是藝術。
Long & Mcquade – 音樂課程（語音和樂器）
Young Rembrandts – 視覺藝術
Luminous Elephant – 視覺藝術
4Cats Art Studio – 視覺藝術
The Edge Climbing Centre – 攀岩（只適用於如果你住在北溫哥華）
Vancouver Youth Soccer Association – 足球。看看這個尋找夏令營
Volleyball BC – 看看“診所和營地”。
Badminton Vancouver -夏季營地
BC Summer Camp-這個網站有很多關於許多夏令營的信息。